Western Union launches mobile payments app in Canada
Western Union has unveiled its mobile platform in Canada for domestic and cross-border money transfers, available for iOS and Android.
The new app allows users “instant, anytime, anywhere” access to Western Union’s physical and digital money transfer infrastructure. So people can send money face-to-face or online.
“Whether on a smart phone or at a store front, we’re committed to being where our customers are and helping them send money in the way that works best for them,” says Juan Carlos Blanco, vice-president and general manager, Western Union Canada.
With the new app – Western Union says consumers in Canada will now be able to:
- Send money “on-the-go, any time”, to more than 200 countries and territories;
- Check current exchange rates and fees;
- View past and pending transactions;
- Get access to “round-the-clock” customer service;
- Track money transfers directly from their mobile device;
- Discover the locations of its agents – 500,000 worldwide, with nearly 3,300 in Canada.
From Bangladesh to the EDGE
Western Union has recently been active.
It teamed with MasterCard, Bkash, a mobile financial service (MFS) provider, and BRAC Bank to launch a new, international remittance receiving service in Bangladesh. The service – via Western Union’s global network – enables Bkash’s registered customers to use their mobile phones to receive remittances from abroad directly into their accounts or collected from a Western Union agent location.
Western Union Business Solutions also unveiled a brand new cloud-based payments platform for SMEs, WU EDGE. The project has been 18 months in the making and is available to new and existing customers for free.