2015 Paybefore Awards: Outstanding Pay Solution – Program
Best use of a network branded prepaid card by an employer or third-party service provider for distribution of payroll.
Best-in-Category: Global Cash Card for Popeyes
Global Cash Card
Payroll program supports restaurant chain’s Go Green initiative, eliminating paper checks within a massive retail operation to better serve the company and crew members.
Partners: MasterCard, network; Global Cash Card, processor and program manager
- 100 percent electronic pay participation achieved over 4 months, from initial rate of only 36 percent.
- Field-level training and communications effort to support full adoption and product understanding.
- Better money management solution for many employees who were previously utilizing high-cost check-cashing services.
- Reloads: additional pay, government benefits and tax refunds at no charge; cash through Western Union and MoneyGram at nominal fee.
- Cardholder support in English and Spanish.
Bottom Line: Partnership between employer and vendor focused on delivering an electronic pay goal in short order through concentrated training, field support and a proven solution. This in-person approach established trust throughout the organization to ultimately achieve 100 percent adoption among ongoing employees.
Walmart constantly reinvests to develop innovative features and tools, including a mobile app Quick View and secondary card, for its secure and cost-effective paycard program.
Partners: MetaBank, issuer; MasterCard, network; First Data, processor and program manager; Walmart, employer
- More than 95 percent of Walmart associates receive some form of electronic payment.
- Cash out to the penny, one free out-of-network ATM withdrawal per pay period, no-cost ACH transfers to personal bank account, Money Network checks, online bill pay, gas discounts, secondary card, transportable, mobile app.
- Reloads: government benefits, tax refunds, other wages, child support, any Walmart or Sam’s Club register and 150,000 cash reload locations nationwide.
- Strong communication and education to teach cardholders how to use card at no charge.
Bottom Line: The largest paycard program in the U.S., Walmart emphasizes associate choice and access to wages and paystub information, while providing free and low-cost options for associates to manage their funds.
Trusted Brink’s brand delivers paycard with industry-leading cardholder features, including budgeting tools and rewards, and significant employer benefits.
Partners: MasterCard, network; Skylight Financial (a subsidiary of NetSpend, a TSYS company), processor and program manager
- Best-in-class solution combines NetSpend’s cutting-edge processing platform and Brink’s brand equity with 150 years of excellence in operational history, integrity and trust.
- Stand-out features: online bill pay, savings purse, convenience checks, budgeting tools, payback rewards, joint accounts.
Bottom Line: Backed by a reputable brand name, the program delivers a low-cost, full-featured payroll card account. Employers enjoy significant cost saving by reducing or eliminating paper checks, and employees gain financial peace of mind.